11.06.2006

Music City strikes again.

Last week was musically awesome.

On Wednesday, John and I went to a the "50 Years of Steve Cropper" show at the Ryman to benefit the T.J. Martell Foundation. It was nothing short of amazing. And, as the Tennessean reported, Lee Roy Parnell and Robben Ford were the highlights of the evening... well of course besides getting to see / hear Steve Cropper play on every single song and a few of his own. The backing band was so incredible as well... David Santos (bass), Mark Jordan (keys / b-3), Mark Bennett (drums), Bob Britt (guitar) and Steve Cropper (guitar)... plus, four horns and three background singers... including a friend, Wendy Moten. It was definitely a musical experience to say the least. Definitely one of the highlights of 2006 for us.

Following the show, John and I went to an after party downtown at BB Kings with Lee Roy and Donna. It was so fun and quite an experience. People swarmed LRP. I don't know how he does it... but he's gracious to every last person that wants to meet him and/or say "hello". It was also just a trip to get to meet and hang out with other people who really love good music. It really charges me up to be around it all.

On Thursday, I went to a late Bluebird show with my buddy Jennifer to see Gary Burr ("In a Week or Two" and "I Try to Think About Elvis"), Jim Photoglo (Dirt Bands "Fishin in the Dark" and Faith Hills "You Give Me Love"), Richard Marx (More than 30 million records sold, 2004 Grammy) and Matt Scannel (lead singer of Vertical Horizon).

My seat for the show was literally right next to Richard Marx. **ROCK** I was so close to the round that at times I forgot I wasn't actually IN the round. The entire round was great, but getting to see Richard Marx and Matt Scannel was special. Scannel repeatedly brought the house down. He seems to be a really cool and soulful person. Marx was musically amazing and he was funnier than... well... you know. (heh.) By the time the night was over, I wished I could go have a cp of coffee with him or something... to just sit and talk.

AND, after the show was over, I was able to reconnect with a Jonathan Kingham (a Seattle songwriter that I met on my Utah trip in October.) Love, love, love his stuff and his spirit. Looking forward to having our paths cross again.

OK... now it is time for me to get ready for work. Lookin' forward to another great week in Nashville, TN!

No comments: