11.12.2012

DAY ONE: 10 Days of Gratitude

Thanksgiving is just 10 days away.  How in the heck did that happen?

To celebrate, I've decided to post something Thankful every day until the turkey hits the table.  

DAY ONE: I'm thankful for the sucky stuff.



Don't rub your eyes. You read that correctly.

Over the past year or so, I've spent a ton of time thinking about the past, the rest of my life and working towards acceptance of where my life is at this very moment. 

My goal is to get better and better at right now. Right here.  Not trying to control the future so much. Not trying to fix the past. Just being where I'm at and being okay with whatever that means.

One of the conclusions I've reached is that the sucky stuff requires the most gratitude. 

Not for the pain (that would be the sucky part). 

Instead, for the opportunity to become better. The opportunity to transform myself and re-record the whispers in my head to something more wonderful. The opportunity to use my experience to help others get through, too. The opportunity to lean into my faith, trust God and remember who's really in charge.  (PS: It's not me.)

There is no denying it. Sucky stuff, you really do suck. But you're lighting the way to a better life and helping me recognize challenges that I wouldn't be tackling had you not sucked. 

So, today... I'm thankful for the sucky stuff. 
Here's big ol' *THANK YOU HUG* from me.
Jeremiah 29:11"For I know the plans I have for you," says the Lord. "They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope."

No comments: