3.18.2005

Jonell Mosser at 3rd & Lindsley

Just wanted to make sure you knew that Jonell Mosser is playing the 10 p.m. show at 3rd & Lindsley tomorrow(Saturday, 3/19). I'm going to be there along with other friends.

I'd love to have you join me if you can swing it!
BB


UPDATE:
Jonell's show was GREAT and the place was packed. She was on fire. The band consisted of members of her old band (Tom Brit - Vince Gill's guitar player, Dennis Burnside on keys, Don Johnson - bass, and Rick Reed - drums.) These guys give her power and there was no stopping her. The crowd loved it. And, an extra bonus for the night, Emily and Lynn came up from Tampa to surprise her and the result was excellent. When Jonell saw them she was stunned. Very cool.

WARNING - BEGINNING OF RANT:
On the other hand...I have to vent about something...
It's too bad Jonell's management / label (whomever) can't figure out that the audience that loves Jonell, loves her music and her soul. They aren't looking for young, hot (cheap) band members who can't play the material musically. (Last year they got rid of all the people she's played with for year to hire a new "more hip" band.) They aren't looking for a "Britney Spears" version of Jonell. Jonell is incredible. She's full of soul. She's beautiful and she's got "it". I don't understand how a manager / label, can sign her and then try to completely change her. She's been doing this her whole life. If you didn't like what she was doing, why did you sign her in the first place? Somehow, they are totally missing the point and I'm afraid the only thing getting hurt in the process is Jonell's future. Time is slipping away.

There is also an obviously HUGE opportunity to sell her new CDs at her gigs. If I had 50 people ask me for a new CD, I had 100. Jonell's new CD has been complete for over a year but they won't give her any to sell. Saturday night, her manager was in NY. No CDs could be had. Why would a label spend money producing, designing, manufacturing a CD and then not release it. (This puzzles me on many levels. I know it happens all the time, but it doesn't sound like a good business model to me. Hmmmm...maybe that's why so many big labels are struggling. No vision... no business model...hmmmm. Well... I guess that is a rant for another day. Back to Jonell...) Last time this happened, I was told that they were trying to "create excitement and anticipation" and wanted to have a "CD Release party" to get the new CD launched. Well...the opportunity is almost past folks. By the time they actually let her sell the CDs, the material is going to be old, her audience is going to be frustrated and she isn't going to want to sing it anymore. AAAAAAAAhhhhhh.

I don't get it.

END OF RANT.

No comments: