3.14.2007

the soundtrack of my mind

One of the hazards of being a singer / songwriter is that there is always a song... or a piece of a song playing inside my head. Even when I was a kid, there was always some tune playing in my mind... it wasn't unusual for me to get in trouble for singing at the table. Hee hee.

So today... I thought I'd share the soundtrack of my mind. (And... by all means... please share your soundtrack, too. Post it in the comments section. I'd love the opportunity to hear new songs and/or share music ideas / memories.)

7:28 a.m. Tell the Truth
Written by Lee Roy Parnell and Tony Arata from Lee Roy's album "Tell the Truth" This song smacked me between the eyes the very first time I heard it. The lyrics are so honest. Lee Roy's voice is flawless and sincere. And, his slide playing... like butter. MmmmMmmmmmmGood.

8:43 a.m. Must be Midnight
Written by Karleen, Rachel and me. If you want to check it out, you'll find a rough guitar / vox version of it on my space.

9:30 a.m. The Suit
Written by Hugh Prestwood, sung by James Taylor on Jerry Douglas' album Lookout for Hope. Hugh Prestwood was performing this song at a writer's workshop the first time I ever heard it... and I cried, quietly, right there in front of everyone. The song is about a farmer from Nebraska... made me think of my Grandpa Petersen.

9:53 a.m. Right on Time
Written and recorded by Al Anderson on his After Hours CD This is the theme song of my life. As far as I know, no one as cut this song yet... but they should. It is amazing.

10:39 a.m. Your love is better than ice cream
By Sarah McLachlan. My favorite version of this song is on her The Freedom Sessions album. In fact, I love the simplicity and realness of every song on that CD. It was the first SM album I ever owned... I still play the crap out of it. If it were a cassette... it would be toast right now.

11:56 a.m. I shot the Sheriff
Written by Bob Marley, sung by Eric Clapton. It just popped into my head when I heard about a bank robber who was captured this morning. No sheriff deputies were harmed as far as I know. (Yes, I know the song doesn't make sense for the story... but I can't help that! My mind is just random that way. Heh.)

1:16 p.m. She'd Give Anything
Written by Jeffrey Steele and recored by Boy Howdy... it's in my head because the subject line in an email I just received was "Boy Howdy!"

1:37 - 2:41 p.m. Vertical Horizon on iTunes
Listening to Vertical Horizon's album "Go" while mapping out a pencil rough for a client. Love this album. Favorite tracks are: "One of you", "I'm still here", "Better when you're not here", "Sunshine".

4:31 p.m. Matches
Written by Hilary Lindsey (not sure of the co-writers). Since I've only heard it once at a songwriter conference in Utah last fall, I'm really just hearing a piece of the song ... but I'm thinking about getting to hear her at the Bluebird tonight, so her songs are going through my head... heard a couple bars of "Jesus Take the Wheel", too. Heh.

No comments: